Saturday 24 September 2011

Should I get my MBA? I am a teacher thinking about a career change in the future?

I am a graduate of the University of Georgia with a BFA in Art Education. I am currently teaching and I have experience in a variety of art techniques including graphic design, photography, sculpture, drawing, painting, and more. I was considering a move into business (perhaps art related but maybe not) and thought about getting my MBA from Kennesaw State University. First off, is it likely that a MBA program will even accept me? The program website said they are open to none-business degrees. My only experience in the business world is retail work and freelance graphic design. Second, what type of program would fit my prior knowledge and skills. Keep in mind, I am a highly creative person but very focused and organized, unlike many %26quot;art people.%26quot;
Should I get my MBA? I am a teacher thinking about a career change in the future?
Will you be accepted by an MBA program? Yes. I was an art major as an undergraduate (sculpture), and had no problem gaining entry into a reputable MBA program. They really do seek out people with a variety of types of work experience. A friend of mine was actually an elite figure skater before he applied and was accepted. Yes, most of your classmates will probably have a business background, but not all of them. You'll be fine.



In fact, getting an MBA is one of the easiest and most acceptable ways of making a career transition into the business world. Based on your background, I'd think you may want to get your MBA with a concentration in marketing. If you go full-time, try to do an internship or two in the business world, in marketing, to make yourself even more employable post-graduation.



In marketing, there are several careers that may fit you well. One is product managment. The other is marketing communications. Marketing communications is the most directly related to your current experience - you'll be working with artists, printers, etc, and directly responsible for a lot what goes into a company's brochures, websites, label design, etc. As a product manager, you'll also be doing artsy things. I work in product management, and I am heavily involved in label design, brochure design, point of sale development, etc.



Here in my marketing department, we have people working who got their MBA, but in their past lives used to be history teachers, nutrition teachers, computer programmers, retail managers, engineers, chemists, and interior designers. As you can see, you'll probably fit right in!
Should I get my MBA? I am a teacher thinking about a career change in the future?
First, yes they will accept you.



Second, get as much diversity as you can with your MBA. When it's all said and done, most employers are going to look at MBA not MBA in basket weaving marketing. In other words, just get inot a program and make the most of the opportunity. Other opportunities will develop from it.