Saturday 24 September 2011

Changing jobs?

Im about to be a senior in college, graduating with a BSc in History (Don't want to teach, just loved the subject) and Im working at Chili's. Until recently, I was preparing on getting into their management program, which consists of ridiculous hoops and walls to get around, to be working 50+ hours making 40k.

Well, I had been bypassed by someone else, which is another topic, but made me reconsider my goals with this company. My idea once I left college was to get into the business world, and hopefully become a multi-unit or regional director, if nothing more.

A regular at Chili鈥檚 who is a close friend is a Gamestop Store Manager, and he is offering me a job (22k- Assistant) with him or one of the surrounding areas. He鈥檚 poured honey into my ear, telling me that I鈥檓 the type of person who will climb without too much trouble. I also have discussed how my casual professionalism (as I call is) has gotten me in trouble at Chili鈥檚 (where you should be Peppering in some Fun). He tells me that wouldn鈥檛 happen at Gamestop, that my attitude would mesh very well and help create a great level of morale (which it has at Chili鈥檚, despite the management teams failures).



He tells me that he only works 44 hours a week, and SMs start at approx 32k, depending on location (Texas as of right now, until my Fianc茅 gets into graduate school, which I will going with her)

If nothing else, the job I do right now is only a shift of approximately 3-4 hours, maximum. Which means, being at 10 dollars an hour, if I want to make anything, I have to work upwards in the 11-13 shift range. Working as an assistant at Gamestop, I would have longer shifts, more time to myself, no doubles, and no ruined clothes from food.

My background is that I worked for Blockbuster for 4 years, (up to Store Manager) until I relocated to an area that was corporate free, franchise owned market.

What are some people鈥檚 opinions of my current status? Should I stick with Chili鈥檚 until I鈥檓 done, or move on to a different opportunity?
Changing jobs?
move on!!
  • cat
  • howtogetevenwithanex
  •