Saturday 24 September 2011

Does anyone know of a college anywhere in the world in which I can take science classes online?

I have searched and searched and searched and not a single college I have found offers an online degree in any sort of science major. I am currently going to college for Environmental Science, but am willing to change my major to Botany or something in the earth sciences to be able to take some classes online. I am getting ready to have a baby and will be a single mom, I cannot work full time, go to school full time and raise a baby unless I can find an alternative to in the classroom studies, at least for the next couple of years.

Science classes. I have to stress that I am looking for online SCIENCE classes. Not criminal justice, not business, not nursing. Science. Something to do with earth science, in particular.
Does anyone know of a college anywhere in the world in which I can take science classes online?
Online options are limited for your degree field. However, here are a few schools that might have something for you.



American Public University has a degree in Environmental Studies - http://www.apu.apus.edu



Open University in UK has several science degrees online. It is a respected online school in the UK and to the best of my knowledge is governmentally supported. I have heard of people transferring from Open to schools in the U.S. http://www.open.ac.uk Be careful with schools called Open University though. The one in the UK was the first and is legitimate, however, several have appeared over the years in various countries that were not legitimate.



The University of South Africa is accredited in the U.S. by the DETC. While this is acceptable to the U.S. Department of Education, regionally accredited schools may give you problems if you try to go to graduate school. http://www.unisa.ac.za The one really good benefit of UNISA though is extremely low cost. This is because of the favorable exchange rate between the dollar and South African Rand. I believe that currently a typical course costs around $105 total.



Good luck
Does anyone know of a college anywhere in the world in which I can take science classes online?
Webster College aka University of Florida offers these web site courses
Columbia Southern University may have something. If you are looking for GE's for your degree, San Diego Community College District has a very good selection.