Wednesday 26 October 2011

Minor in Economics or Management Information Systems? My major might be Government and World Affairs?

I believe my major is going to be government and world affairs, I've kept changing it like everyday. But this has stuck for like a week, and I already registered a class for it.



This major is very non-stressful, I get to pick my classes within the major cause I'm doing a general and not a concentration on like (law or american gov't)



However, some say this degree may be useless. but right now I'm not caring because I want to learn about it.



on the safe side, a minor in business might not hurt. and economics and MIS only require 6 courses for a minor.



Which would be more useful? I've tried C++ in high school, and it was eh. It might have been my teacher. But i really like working with computers.



should I minor in one of them? which one is better/easier/goes well with my major.



or not minor in them and go through the rest of college stress-free.



I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of writing in my gov't classes. they're labeled as %26quot;Writing Intensive%26quot; courses...
Minor in Economics or Management Information Systems? My major might be Government and World Affairs?
OK, let's step back.



You should not pick a major. You should pick a career. Then you should complete the major that leads to that career.



To get help picking a career, go to your college's career counseling office, they have the tools to assess your skills and attitudes in order to offer you a list of potential careers you should enjoy--along with projected salary and demand for each. Then you can make an informed decision.



Once you have a career, the counseling office can advise you as to what major to pursue (and where it's offered, if not on your current campus). And what minor, if one is useful.



And once you have chosen a career, try to make everything you do in college relevant to that career in some way.



Trust me, when you have a goal, it all makes more sense.



And sometimes students ask me what will happen if they change their minds. Truthfully, that's always an option--and if you do you lose some of the progress you made toward that original goal--but some of the progress will remain relevant. Whereas, if you don't have a goal, you aren't progressing toward anything in particular, and you drift.



OK? OK!