Wednesday 26 October 2011

I'm about to legally change my last name. How should I tell people?

I'm an adult in the business world. I haven't had a relationship with my father in years, and I'm changing my last name to my mother's legal/maiden name.
I'm about to legally change my last name. How should I tell people?
You've found the right person for this question! I am 44 and I legally changed my last name to my mother's maiden name when I was 17 because I have always had a horrible relationship with my father. I didn't want his name, and he was very angry about it, but I felt it was the right thing to do for me. I would just inform people that you work with that you are changing your last name for personal reasons, and leave it at that. You have NO obligation to tell anyone anything more personal about this than that. I think you're making a brave statement about who you want to be, and it takes guts to realize you don't want to carry on your father's name. When I changed my name, of course I was only 17, but legally it is fine if you change your name - just by doing it- I went to the DMV and got my last name changed. I notified Social Security and did the same thing. I didn't need a lawyer or anything. I even got a passport in my name. (It takes about seven years for you to use your new name legally to apply for a passport, fyi) Anyway, as I've mentioned, if anyone asks, you changed your last name for personal reasons. And if you want to tell people, you can choose to be honest and say that you haven't had a real relationship with your father for years, and your new last name is your mother's maiden name. No more explanation is required. Good luck!
I'm about to legally change my last name. How should I tell people?
I would do it the same way as married women do it. Send out an email stating that your name is changing and please update your contacts accordingly. Or...just change it in your personal life and leave the same at work until you go to a new job.
If your doing PRON yes change your name..Due to safety issue's.You really didn't mention what kind of Adult business your doing so that's why I'm assuming this.. if it's because your getting married then yes...Good Luck.
Just tell them you changed your name and what your

new name is. You don't have to give out any more

info than that. If its someone you trust and want to give

out more info as to why you changed it then you can.
Just say that due to some personal reasons you are legally changing your name and from now it will be [insert the name here.] If they are friends or family you may want to elaborate on it, if they are acquaintances, business contacts etc. just leave it at that.
Have your business cards changed and start introducing yourself in your new last name. If anyone asks why, tell them that it is a personal matter. As for friends, it may take them awhile to adjust, but they will. (Look at all the women who get married and take their husbands last name).
It depends on which way you want to go about it. You could either tell individuals as the need arises or you could send out a type of announcement. You could type something on the computer or have a printer prepare formal announcements. You could say %26quot;Please be advised that John J. Doe has formally changed his name to John J. Johnson. Please forward all correspondence to Mr. Johnson as his usual address.%26quot; or %26quot;John J. Doe proudly wishes to announce that he has changed his name to JOHN J. JOHNSON. Please make note of this change. You may continue to forward all correspondence to Mr. Johnson as his address of 123 My Highway, Your Town, USA%26quot;. Good luck to you and may God Bless you.
You should print up cute little post cards and send them to everyone. You could get a great pic of you and your mom together for the front!
Hold a party with your family and friends and when everyone comes in introduce yourself with your new name. It would also be a great excuse to have a party..