Wednesday 26 October 2011

At 28, how do I get into the world of investment banking, i.e. like a trainee analyst at Goldman Sachs?

I attended film school, and after about 5 years in the business I am looking for a change of career. I was told that large investment companies look not only for people with business degrees or MBA's but also people from different backgrounds such as liberal arts. Is 28 too late?
At 28, how do I get into the world of investment banking, i.e. like a trainee analyst at Goldman Sachs?
I work for an investment bank and we would hire you if you're any good. new age discrimination legislation means It's illegal now for banks to hire only recent grads



All the big investment banks have annual graduate recruitment programmes. they start interviewing for the 2007 intake very soon indeed, so start applying now. you can do it on their websites. My the bank I work for (and quite like, having worked for a large American investment bank previously) is called Macquarie:



http://www.macquarie.com/uk/aboutus/careers/graduate_recruitment.htm





You should think carefully about it, though. it's a very tough career. long hours, and sometimes boring work early on. also, you will be a bit older than most of the guys you start with (although new starters from the continent are often in their mid to late 20's).



however, the work can sometimes be exciting, you learn a lot about finance, and the pay is obviously very good (starting salaries typically around 拢35k, with a discretionary bonus of maybe around 拢20k at the end of the first year). at banks such as Goldman Sachs, though, you can honestly kiss your social life goodbye, at least for the first few years. 80 hour weeks are common.
At 28, how do I get into the world of investment banking, i.e. like a trainee analyst at Goldman Sachs?
Dear Trevor



How are you. Your answers are very impressive and I surely thought I could learn some thing from you.



Could you please be kind enough to give 5 minutes for resume review and informational interview.



Thanks



Vijay Veerachandran

(917) 292 1636

Report Abuse


sometimes it is even better to work at this age because you are probably more prepared for it then if you got it straight out of uni.

Good luck .
Check out their website. It has lots of information about working there:



http://www2.goldmansachs.com/careers/car鈥?/a>
I don't think 28 is too late. I work at a top uni and there are plenty of mature students doing the BSc and MSc in Econ or Finance and many end up in Goldman Sachs. I would have thought you would need a degree, preferably a postgrad degree, but it is never too late for anything - go for it!
I went to their offices in London recently (cos my company works for them in one area) and the offices blew me away! It was nicer than a 5 star hotel, I want to work there too!