Friday 7 October 2011

I need college help! politics,business, etc.?

Okay, so I am in high school, but soon I will be venturing off to college to pursue my dreams, and I need serious help.

I want to do something in the areas of politics, business, international relations, economics, or even accounting or auditing. Something along these lines. I would love to one day be an important politician and help change the world, but I know that unfortunatly you have to have a good bit of money to really be sucessful at that, and I am not wealthy, to be honest. However, I don't want that to stop me from pursuing something that is very important to me.

So what I need help with is this: What do I major in? I know, big, big question to ask of complete strangers, but I seriously need help. Should I start with business? Cause there isn't exactly a 'politics' major, as far as I know. I have done A LOT of research into this, and I am still as stuck now as I was in the beginning. (wait--that isn't all, but I am out of space)
I need college help! politics,business, etc.?
well just like you i always wanted to become a politician. But i changed my mind, i figured that being a politician it's just not me. so i decide to do something different, like pursue my degree in MD. You know study only politics doesn't mean that you have become a politician....you can be working for media like anyalist, or lobbyist, their are plenty of job out there for people who pursue their major in politics or POLITICS IN SCIENCE.. ...good luck whatever you do
I need college help! politics,business, etc.?
Political science or government would seem to be the obvious choices if you're pointed toward politics, although a backround in business or numerous other majors could prepare you for public service/politics. Many politicians have first been in business, practiced law, or spent time in other professions (including teaching).



You do not have to be wealthy to run for office...especially local or state office, but you will need to learn to raise money. Why don't you volunteer to work in the campaign of a politician you admire? You'll learn a lot and get a good idea as to whether or not the world of politics is for you.
There's no simple answer to your question. Politicians come from a wide range of backgrounds. That being said, by far the most common background for politicians in the United States is law. Fortunately for you, this means that you can major in almost anything you want in college. Law schools generally don't care much about your major so long as you get a strong background in the liberal arts, a good GPA and high LSAT scores.