Wednesday 26 October 2011

Do you think today's young people will change the world and government?

For some reason I have a lot of faith in today's kids ages like 15-29. They come up with all kinds of new ideas. Come on, look at Google, Youtube, Uno bike was invented by a 19 year old. Youtube symphony is a global enterprise. I'm in Toronto everyone who I know votes for the Green party, supports weed legalization and so on. And it's not like I'm a hippy stoner, I have a business degree and an office job.



Somehow I feel when Generation X and Baby Boomers retire from government, in like 40 years, we'll change so much. Like taxing polluting meat industry, making internal combustion engines illegal, legalizing weed. I'm not blind, most inventions are done by 20-30 year olds with flexible brains. Somehow Gen X keeps getting in the way of progress. I think public transportation should be free, unless you want to demolish half the city and cover it with concrete just to find more space to drive. There's like a million cars in Toronto. How come everyone has to pay for someone else's ride? I mean cost of pollution, it affects health, Canada has free health care, cost of maintaining nice smooth roads. Pedestrians can walk on any crap road so all repairs and construction are obviously for cars.



I bet there will be a bunch of people over 40 here, crapping on my parade :) Well, screw you, you'll die first and today's kids will just step over your body :) I guess, just like it happened many times before me.



Though I do think something with Gen X folks not being able to send an email has to do with it. Come on, today's kids are way more educated just thanks to technology and even with the most basic and accessible stuff like Wikipedia. I mean look at the stats, most users and contributors were born in 80s and 90s.



I played video games since I was like 11, around the same age I saw a prno. I turned out fine, get off our backs already. Gen X, are some of the worst parents I could think of. Those helicopter parents, with soccer moms, and karate lessons. Leave the kid alone, give him a stick he'll dig a hole and amuse himself for hours :) Chances are he'll grow up a smart kid, instead of whoever you're trying to make him into. Because if kids listen to their parents we'd all be living our mom's basement.



Anyway, I have a flu, so I'm hoped up on pills :) Getting some creative juice flowing here :)
Do you think today's young people will change the world and government?
Not in any huge way like they and all the other generations believed they would.
Do you think today's young people will change the world and government?
Well, of course they will. Can you name any period of 15 years in the past century when the world _hasn't_ changed dramatically?
Kids come in many types, and that includes differences in how they will live their lives. There are a lot of kids right now that are really down-to-earth, recognize that their world in jeopardy due to their parent's behaviour, and want to see something better. I see kids who started volunteer work because the %26quot;had to%26quot; for school graduation requirements, but who loved the work so much that they keep going beyond what is required. I see kids who have developed a passion for doing something about world hunger and organize fund raisers for World Vision or other causes. I see kids getting mad at parents who put the wrong thing in their recycling box.



However, there is a huge disconnect in our society that confuses the heck out of these kids. They are generally treated by our society as little more than annoying nuisances not good for much other than marketing targets. TV shows tell them that it is normal to hate school, that teachers are stupid, and they need to have all the latest stuff to be someone. You hear something enough times and you start to believe it. Until us adults start treating kids like they really are worth it, and stop trying to make them be junk consumers, we are going to have a youth somewhat paralyzed by internal confusion.



Many youth ARE starting to see the disconnect, but find it hard to deal with within the expectations of our culture. For example, drinking a Tim Hortons coffee is culturally the thing that everyone does, but now they are learning that the coffee is often grown by people working in slave-like conditions. The kids hate the fact that people are being abused, and want to do something about it, but they keep drinking their Timmies anyway, because everyone else does it, and hey they can roll up the rim to win! Scenarios like this create conflict, and unless society and governments are willing to address the inconsistancies in our lifestyle vs. our ideals, then we will continue to have confused kids.



I work hard to point out these inconsistancies, and I see kids rising to the challenge to change their lives. It takes people who are willing to point these things and help these kids build the confidence they need to change the world!
I think the kids of today are much smarter then most adults and I would like to see a real down to earth and smart one running this country, but it won't happen, also I believe the world will end before it gets to bad, we will never be able to see someone with half a brain run this country
  • put site on a dedicated server
  • dog
  •