Sunday 5 June 2011

Moving from the business world to teaching in CA.. help!!! : )?

I have a bachelor%26#039;s degree with a double major in Marketing and


Psychology. I have been in the


business world for the first 5 years of my post college days, and am


highly considering making a change to teaching. I would love to teach


at the Junior High level... most likely science or math.





Can anyone please give me an overview of what that process would look like?





1. How much will that likely cost? (I would prefer an online course so


I could continue to work if need be)


2. What would the time committment likely be?


3. Could I teach in California with my educational background while I


am getting credentialed? I have heard about %26quot;temporary permits%26quot;. Do


these exist?





Thank you in advance... I have been searching on line but am having a


difficult time pulling all of the info together.





Have a great day!!|||Welcome to the club.


I too have decided to quit the business world in pursuit of teaching.


My bachelors is in Business Management but I want to teach history at the middle school level, and perhaps one day history and business at the high school level. I%26#039;ve had enough of downsizing, pointless meetings, cubicles, and office politics.





I enrolled in American Public University for a M.A. in American History.


www.apu.apus.edu


Its all online, and its awesome.


For a masters degree its going to end up costing about $10 grand. The important thing though is that it is regionally accredited. I cant speak for CA, but in VA that makes all the difference. As for the time it takes each week, I spend about an hour a day doing required reading, responding to posts on the class discussion board, and writing papers a little at a time. The classes are either 8 or 16 weeks in length, your choice.


I would immagine that in CA you could teach psychology or marketing in high school with your current credentials. You may have to get a teachers certification first. I would contact the california department of education, or your city/county school office and ask to speak to someone in personell, thats what I did. The person I talked to told me everything I wanted to know.


Hope that helps a little. Good luck with teaching.|||I%26#039;m making a career change to teaching as well, and first you need to become a licensed teacher. You can apply to a bachelor degree program which would take 1-1/2 year to 2 years or to a master%26#039;s in teaching program which should take a year. The pay difference between the level A and level M is 4-10%. So it does make a difference and every teacher I%26#039;ve met has recommended the master%26#039;s program/MAT because you are taught the same information but paid more. I don%26#039;t know how it is for science but for me I could easily transition into a Middle Grades Language Arts program. For the A level certificate/licensure I only needed to have a B.A. in English.





Most programs cost 5,000 depending on how many courses you have to take. If your B.A. does not directly relate to the program you are applying to it will cost more b/c you have to take certain courses. For example, my other major was Afro-American Studies, so for the English teaching certificate I would have to take several more English courses prolonging the program and money.





If you want to try your hand in sub teaching you can. All that requires is you fill out an application. You will be paid less 20-30 dollars less than a certified teacher, but that%26#039;s how it goes.





Now if you didn%26#039;t want to go back to school there are several real-life/real world teaching education programs which puts people in the classroom and they are learning how to be teachers as they go. I%26#039;m not quite familiar with this programs but they do exist. I suggest you visit a counselor to talk about the options. I do not mean a high school guidance counselor but a counselor/administer working for your districts home office. For Carrboro-Chapel Hill School Systems, I had to visit the Century Building for information on the entire school system. Their office has the sub teaching forms and administrative help willing to help you shadow other teachers or ask questions about job requirements. Check out a school district near your residence and see if you can schedule an appointment. Trust me they would be happy to let you know about the remaining requirements